Monday, April 28, 2008

Flash Photography

So my cousin Jennifer in the comments asked about flash photography. So this one's for you Jenny-4. ;)

The problem with a flash on a regular ol' point and shoot camera is that it is just right there in the corner at about the same level as your subject.

If you have an SLR you likely have a flash that flips up over the top of your camera. This is a bit better because it is higher.

In any case, I try to use as much natural light as possible by opening blinds and curtains. This way, even if it isn't enough light to take the picture, the effect of the flash is lessened by the available light.

If it is night, I turn on other lights in the room because then the light isn't so harsh and one directional. You'll also want to keep back as far from your subject as possible while still getting the shot you want. Also keep your subject several feet away from the wall to avoid dark shadows.

I hope I've made some sense, and feel free to leave your own tips (or correct any of mine)in the comments.

1 comment:

Jennifer said...

Wow! Thanks Kimberly! I feel so special now. :) Those are some good tips. Sometimes when the lighting isn't that good I'll turn my dial to the night time switch and it's better but the lense thingy stays open longer, to get more light I assume, and they are blurry if I'm not holding perfectly still. I just need a way cool camera like yours. I'm finding that the more I get into taking pictures and learning about it the more I wish a had a camera that I can manually set. What kind of camera do you have? What are some things that you like and dislike about it. You always take the coolest pictures.