Tuesday, October 13, 2009

Anybody have any tips for getting a 4 year old to open her mouth at the dentist? At least the hygienist coaxed her into the chair to watch the movie. That was a step in the right direction. She gave me the smuggest look when she realized I had finally given up and we were going to go. She knew she had won that round. But I'm taking her back on Thursday. Ugh. I'm going to keep takign her back every few days (f the dentist will permit it) until she realizes she didn't really win. If she ends up with any cavaties, we're going to have to sedate her to get them taken care of.

Aaron yet again has a tooth growing in behind his baby tooth, so he's got to get the baby tooth pulled.

1 comment:

Jessica said...

I have no advice, only stories of our experience:

We took the twins to a pediatric dentist. They had all the special stuff -- the place was decorated like a playground! My kids refused to get in the seat and started crying. I was visibly stressed and the dentist took me aside and said, essentially, they'll be fine, just pry open their mouth and let the hygienist do whatever, and that research shows it won't traumatize the kid. So, I sat with each child while we pried open the mouth and the kids kicked and screamed and tried to fight us off. It sucked, and I felt stupid, but they seemed like they had seen it a million times.

We go back six months later and I am ready for a battle, and both kids hop into the chair like they do it all the time. Cake! So, maybe forcing them to do it even though they scream isn't so bad? Like I said, I have no answer, just sharing what happened to us.

Good luck!