Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Flowerama

So last week was my week long job. It was crazy but fun. Monday we got in a shipment of thousands of roses and had to process them all. This consists of stripping bottom leaves in a cool little machine (this became my job), then cutting the roses underwater, then immediately putting them in a hydrating solution for a few seconds, then plopping them in a bucket of water. I wish I had taken a picture of the buckets and buckets of roses. We could hardly walk.

Tuesday and Wednesday consisted mostly of greening vases, and designing half dozen and dozen arrangements. So many of the roses were red, we got sick of using them and tried to find the more interesting colors, like orange or yellow. There were some cool purple ones too.

Wednesday night they called me and said we were so far ahead of schedule that they didn't need me to come in on Thursday. While I wouldn't have minded going in for a few hours, it was nice to have a day off. My hands were pretty scratched up from the roses.

Friday was insanely crazy. All day we were labeling arrangements for pick up, putting them in bags, wrapping up flowers, keeping the cooler filled, taking orders, helping people figure out what they wanted, finding and wrapping up specific bouquets. I had one guy who just wanted tulips, another who wanted daisies. I was running around all day and by the time I left my feet were totally sore.

Anyway, I had a lot of fun, though it was tiring and hard to keep up on the housework and dinner and making sure the kids did their chores and stuff.

2 comments:

Lori said...

It sounds like you had a blast!!!!!

Minda said...

Makes me want to go buy tulips!