Monday, August 4, 2008

High School

*This post inspired by facebook

Sometimes I feel like I am in the minority when I say that I (for the most part) really enjoyed high school. I participated in choir and orchestra, performed in a couple of plays, really liked some of my teachers. But the best thing about high school were my friends. I had a great group of friends who all genuinely liked each other and got along great. Many of us, in the times we have spoken or got together, can pick up right where we left off.

There are, of course, the BFFs Lori and Kirsti that I'm sure I will always be in semi-regular contact with. Lori I've known since I was 9 or 10, and Kirsti since 8th or 9th grade. We also roomed together in college. We had some good times.

Then a couple years ago, Jennifer moved into the neighborhood (hi Jen). We have known each other since elementary school. We ran into each other on Halloween and now do playgroup and book group together.

Another example. By some crazy random happenstance when we first moved into our current house, we ended up right next door to Tom. Tom was in a group of friends I hung out with often. One night he invited us over along a bunch of others from the group that he was still in touch with. A sort of mini-reunion. We all talked and laughed and had a great time even though we hadn't seen each other for several years. I even at one point ran home and found my high school scrapbook so we could reminisce about the high school dances we had gone to together.

Sometimes I wonder how my life might be different if church culture hadn't (sometimes painfully) ripped some of these boys out of my life when we hit 19, but that's for a different post.

If I have a point, I'm not sure what it is. Just getting back into touch with some of these friends on facebook lately made me miss some of my old friends, and the carefree life of high school. :)

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

See, that's because you were popular in high school. People like me? Yeah, um, never again. Not for ten billion tax free dollars.

Unknown said...

Popular? Yeah, riiiight. I guess I was lucky that choir/drama wasn't considered totally nerdy at my high school. But I didn't run with the "popular" crowd.

PixelFish said...

I think we managed to hit a fairly decent sweet spot in high school, wherein everybody was so bludgeoned by puberty we all decided to be nice to each other for a change. Or mostly nice. I mean, we were still stupid teenagers.

Mostly I liked high school, and my extra-curricular activities (German club, Mock Trial, etc) were among some of my fond memories.

(I have a few negative memories, mostly of somebody making nasty sexually harrassing remarks to me in seminary (of all places) and a couple of stupid things I said to some people in the great karmic circle of dumbness but nothing like elementary school, which I still regard as downright hellacious.)

Tell Kirsti hi from me (if it's the same Kirsti I think it is). :)

Jennifer said...

Hey Kimberly, I fixed the link on my blog. Sorry it wasn't working. :)